Wednesday 14 July 2010

Change is idealistic realistic

Hello world!

I'm not an idealist, though I speak like one on occasion. I don't think that the world will suddenly be full of hugs, kisses and sparkle, no matter how much I wish for it. Wars won't stop, racism won't disappear and poverty won't vanish.
But, no matter how much ugliness surrounds us, each and every one of us can make the world a more beautiful place.




I'm just a teenager; interested in clothes and make-up and what Lindsay Lohan had for dinner, and who Tiger Woods slept with last, and how much plastic surgery Heidi Montag has planned for 2010.

Except, I'm not. I don't care about any of those things, many teens don't care about those things. And even if we are interested in Celebrity Gossip, does that mean that other things don't interest us?
Does reading Seventeen or In Touch mean that I can't read The Financial Times, The Independant, The Times, The Post or any proper newspaper?

I'm fed up of everyone always assuming that we are too young to have opinions, to have ideas, to have plans and thoughts and inspiration. We aren't too young. Nobody is too young, people are just too old to listen.

The next time you see a young child, ask it what love is. Ask it, what the most important thing in the world is. Compare it's answer with that of educated adults, politicians. And then tell me, who is cleverer?

If the world were run by children, it would be a far better place.

I've decided that I want to be heard by the world and that is why I've started this blog. It's going to encompass everything, my views and opinions, my ideas and thoughts, my hopes and dreams and my pleas to everyone out there: Help me change the world by making a difference.
I'm not asking you to donate money or preach to the public.
All I ask, is that you open your minds, your eyes, your hearts and listen. I don't expect everyone to agree with everything I say, I'm happy to hear other opinions.

Todays youth need opinions. 'I don't care' is an over-used phrase that is far too frequent in our vocabulary. I choose not to believe people when they say, 'I don't care' I don't want to believe that my generation is really such an uncaring one.


We need to look up from our computers, our X-boxes, our iPods and iPads, our cellphones and our Wiis and take a look at the world, we need to realise that we can make a difference, we can be the difference. We are the future and we can decide what our future looks like. But we have to start now.



We have to stop waiting for somebody else to start. Or at least, when someone starts, don't just sit back and think, "Well, that's a neat idea! Why didn't I think of it?" and go back to playing on our choice of technology, we need to get up and continue what has been started. Strength in numbers is the only way we can create the world we want to live in.


Maybe I can't change the world, but we can make a difference.


Love,
Amber

3 comments:

  1. Hey Amber! Awesome post- you write really well :)
    <3 your first follower from the land of the kiwi, emma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. to read this blog gives me hope for the future!!!
    the youth of today are the adults of tomorrow, leaders, managers, governments and the only possibility for a better world.
    go on...do it!!!
    make the world a better place, where we failed!!!
    love & light

    ReplyDelete